Monday, May 7, 2012

Babies

Jo found a baby bird a few days ago in the back yard.  It was a tiny tiny bird, a nestling, with almost no feathers.  Jimmy and Elizabeth looked for the nest to put it back in, but they couldn't find it, so they carefully tucked him into a little box with a warm rag and put him near a heat lamp. 

And then they waited for me to get home to deal with it.

It was Sunday, and I had been out all afternoon, so by the time I got home, the animal shelter was closed and I had no idea what to do with this baby bird.  All I knew was that I had to do something, and do something fast. 

I actually felt ill looking at it. 

Whenever it heard someone come by, it thrust its little head out of its little blanket and the beak opened up wide.  It was fascinating to see.  You could almost see all the way down to the little guy's stomach!  He was honestly the cutest little thing!

This should have been a great learning experience for the kids.

I should have showed them how he looked and what he did.

We should have had a lesson on birds, babies, spring, eggs, feathers, nests...SOMETHING!

But I couldn't.

His neediness was too close to home.  He needed his mom.  She was the only one who could provide for him what he so desperately wanted and needed.

I was so afraid that he would die.

His frailness scared me.

He looked like a little Jesse.  Jesse needs me.  He is totally dependent on me.  I am the only one who can take care of his most basic needs.  (Yes, there is formula to be had if necessary, but the satisfaction of his true needs lies solely with me.)   Jesse cries for me and opens his little mouth and then is satisfied with snuggles, love, and milk. 

I was terrified that this little bird would die.  So, I called the emergency animal hospital, and I was infinitely relieved that they would take him.  I could not get the little thing in my car fast enough, and I could not get down the road soon enough. 

Elizabeth wanted to talk to them at the hospital.  She wanted to know what they eat, if she could come back and visit.  I just wanted to drop him, wash my hands of the responsibility of him and get home.

We were told that we could not come back and visit, thank goodness, and were told that he will eat a special food that is made for baby birds. 

Then we were out the door, scooting home, and wrapping Jesse up in my arms. 

And then I thought: Is that the way that God feels about us when He lends s our children?  How much more careful, then, must we be knowing that we are caring for a most sacred gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment