Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top 'O the Morning To You!

Yes, yes, it's St Patrick's Day, so we are here celebrating our Irish-ness.

 Doesn't she just look so Irish?  (Jimmy was eating lunch today when she got home from school at 1, and even though she had already had her lunch and various snacks, she saw what he was eating and asked for 'yoz' (that is her pronunciation or 'arroz' or rice) con crema and a chicken bone.)

 And what about this one:

Irish to the core.  And yes, he probably would 'Rather be lucky than good!' (Gabriel!  Come here!  What do you have in your mouth?!?!)




But wait...let me explain!  First of all, St Patty's Day is the only day of the year that we get to have this as a meal:






So, I would claim Irish anyway, no matter what.  'Cuz this brisket with these




in the crock-pot are a heavenly thing to have once a year.  (Yes, I know my carrots have sprouted.  We really need to go to the grocery store!  We are at the bottom of the barrel!  At least the potatoes haven't gone yet...I swiped borrowed them from my mother-in-law.  It is great to have them with us in the house!)

But besides the yummy meal, take a look at this:

This is my brother.  And my sister looks like she could be his twin.  Note the red hair.  I do not look a whit like either one of them, but if they've got it, I do, too.  Now, my husband says that all because they have red hair doesn't mean that we are Irish, but really, we are.  My mother's mother was Irish.  She had the red hair, too.  I never saw it red, though.  In fact, I usually saw it pink.  She was always amazed that it was pink.  She would dye it red but it always turned out pink.  I never really understand why this puzzled her.  I was at the age where we were learning about mixing colors and I could have told her that no matter how many times you do it, red dye on snow white hair will turn pink!  It was a beautiful shade in my eyes, though.  It was the shade of warm hugs and candy in the candy dish and card games at the coffee table.  Anyway, like I said, even though my kids look nothing like it, they are part Irish, too.  Actually, we have quite a lot of claims to fame.  I am Irish, Scottish, English and German, and add in my husband, who is from El Salvador, and our kids are quite an incredible mix!

So, I took advantage of the day to indulge in the corned beef although we did stay away from the cabbage.  All of us have to share a room with someone, and no one wants to be put through the aftermaths of a dinner with cabbage.

Oh, and I can't forget to show you the shamrock that my mom made for Jo. 

On Tuesday my mother told Jo that she put something in the mail for her and something for Elizabeth.  As soon as Jo got home, she ran to the mailbox to see if it was there.  It wasn't, of course.  'But Gramma SAID so!'  Yes, Jo, but it will take a few days to get here.  'But I want Gramma to put it in here right NOW!'  It will come later, Jo.  Later that night, around 10PM when all children should be fast asleep...'Mommy, I want Gramma to put it in the mail right now.  She said she put it in the mail for me and one for Izzy'  Go to sleep, Jo, it's coming.  

You can not imagine my relief when it arrived in the mailbox the next day!

After dinner, we went to the library, but before we went, Jimmy changed Gabriel's diaper.  It often takes 2 people to change him, especially if Jimmy is one of the 2 people, because he is so active and will not be still long enough to get the job done.  I was in the kitchen cleaning up, though, so when I came out, this is what I found.  

Come here, buddy...get your pants up!





Jo LOVES the library!  Especially when it brings the promise of stopping by the health food store to pick up more tapioca pearls!


And now, a word from our sponsor:

'Meow'

2 comments:

  1. In that last picture of Jo with the green sweatshirt she looks exactly like a little latina version of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I must be so cute! No, but really, do you think so? None of my kids seem to look like me!

    ReplyDelete