Monday, February 4, 2013

On The Bookshelf: Fact and Fiction

I am still making my way through my The Princes of Ireland book, but curiosity got the best of me at the library the other day and I picked up The Boy Who Was Raised As A Dog--What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love and Healing by Bruce D Perry, MD, PhD and Maia Szalavitz.


I seriously could not put this book down.  It was an amazing combination of stories of the children that Dr Perry had worked with as well as pretty detailed explanations of the brain, and when, why and how it develops.  It was absolutely eye opening and made me want to go and just hug on the kids.  It was pretty incredible to see how different children were either able or not able to cope with their circumstances based on how they were treated when they were infants.  Although I do not often buy books for myself, this is one that I would actually consider purchasing just to be able to read and digest it more.  I definitely recommend it as a good read to understand the brain and its development a bit more.

Also while at the library, I happened upon this book:

 Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons

Oh. My. Goodness.  This is the cutest book I have seen since Skippy John Jones!  It is about a cat named Pete who has buttons on his shirt and as you turn the pages, one by one they pop off.  But does Pete cry?  Goodness no!  Buttons come and buttons go.  He just sings his song about his groovy buttons.  (Ask Gabriel, he can sing it for you.)  Then, at the end, when there are no more buttons on his shirt, he looks down and sees...you guessed it!  His BELLY BUTTON!  It is so cute!  It is a great learning tool.  Each of the buttons is a different color, they have the written math problems on each page as you count down as well as a large numeral to see and trace with your finger if you'd like.  But I think that the best best part for me is that in the end, when Pete has no more buttons, he is sitting on top of a surf board on top of a red VW Bug! AHHHH!!!!  That is what Elizabeth and I rode around in when we lived in Hawaii!  And we strapped our boards to the top!  Perfect book!  I am definitely going to have to add this one to the collection!  I haven't gone online yet to hear the free song, and I'm not sure that I really want to because I think that we have come up with a very good version of it ourselves, but I may go check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment