Tuesday, August 20, 2013

In Their Own Ways

Hebrews 13:6  The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid.

Each of the children continue to deal with the situation of baby Hazel Grace in their own ways.

Elizabeth says that she has never been afraid for me or for baby Hazel.  She says that she knows that everything will be ok because God has it all in His hands.

I struggle to have faith like that.  Sometimes, in the dark of the night, or even in the light of the day, I am afraid.  And I was surely afraid when I was in the hospital all through the days leading up to sweet Hazel's miraculous birth.

Gabriel loves Hazel Grace with an unconditional love.  He is so sweet in his affection for her.  Sometimes the strength of his attachment and love for her is surprising to me.  He is only 3, and has only seen her one time in person, but he loves to see pictures of her, and is totally in love with that baby.  He has a t-shirt with Snoopy on it.  The shirt is red and it has a picture of Snoopy holding some Valentine's Day cards.  When you ask Gabriel what is says across the bottom of the shirt, he will recite, 'Sorry Girls.  I'm taken!' And when you ask him who he is taken by, his answer was always, 'My mom!'.  But not anymore!  He wore that shirt today, and when I asked him who he was taken by,  he said 'Baby Hazel!'

I have been replaced!

But I love his devotion to her.  He will be her protector as she grows.

And let me tell you, you don't want to tangle with Gabriel!

And Jo...well, Jo is the silent one.  She may be loud and boisterous about everything else, but she doesn't really talk too much about Hazel Grace around the house, and she was the one who was hesitant to touch her.  But she, too, has love for her tiny sister.

She and Gabriel have been going to VBS in the evening these last few nights, and she came home on Monday with a sticker on her shirt with the verse in Hebrews that says, 'The Lord is my helper.  I will not be afraid.'

She gave me the sticker and wanted me to take it and stick it to baby Hazel's isolette.

Jo may be quiet, but she, too, loves deep.

Can you feel it, sweet baby Hazel Grace?  Can you feel the love your siblings have for you?

They are waiting for you, sweet Hazel.  They are waiting for you and they will take care of you.

You may grow, little one, you may grow to be big and tall and strong,

But to them, you will always be their little sister.

Their little sister that needed so much love to grow...

but don't worry, sweet one.  You may need so much love, so  much love to help pull you through, but

it's never more love than they have to give!

So, sweet baby, do not be afraid!


No comments:

Post a Comment